Food Plots: What Is The Purpose?
Food plots are portions of land where a supplemental food source is grown for wildlife such as deer, birds, turkey, quail, pheasants, and more. They are beneficial for wildlife enthusiasts, hunters, farmers, and property owners alike for a variety of reasons.
Beyond attracting wildlife, food plots also help manage the land, build healthy and productive soils, and prevent soil erosion. They can help keep unwanted trees and underbrush from regrowing on land that has been cleared as well. They may also be utilized as an element of Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) land management.
Food plots can serve as supplemental or emergency food supplies during extreme cold or snow in winter months as well as helping wildlife to prepare for winter. They also help to assure that wildlife species have adequate food supplies for reproduction and raising their young in the spring and summer months.
At Tallgrass Land Management, we have the knowledge, skill, and equipment necessary to create healthy and impactful wildlife or deer plots. Here is how we break down the process:
- We start with examing the soil on site. That’s the only way we can determine the correct seeding you will need for your property.
- Next up are the weeds. We recommend a herbicide and let you know our plan for its application.
- A fertilizer application comes next if needed.
- Depending on your property tillage may be required before seeding. If no tillage is required then we move on to seeding.
- We work with the property owner on what seeds to plant based on the wildlife they are trying to attract.
- A follow-up herbicide application may be applied 4 to 8 weeks later after seed emergence.
- Our goal is to deliver the best food plots possible leading to greater deer harvest and enhanced wildlife habitats.
Every piece of property is unique which is why our owner, Bryan Ballard, will give you a free estimate that is customized for your property. While we focus on delivering the best in industry solutions and customer service, we also want to become your long-term land management partner. As land clearing programs, equipment and solutions evolve you can count on us for the latest solutions tailored to your land management needs.
Tallgrass offers both one-time services and customized annual land management programs. Our annual programs may include spraying for weeds, brush hogging multiple times per year, seeding programs, and more.
Tallgrass Land Management is veteran-owned and licensed in Missouri and Kansas. We welcome the opportunity to earn your trust and exceed your expectations. To schedule a free estimate or request more information, please call us today at 816-529-0895.